Home Health Care - Aid and Attendance VA Benefit

Home Health Care Agencies are defined into two (2) categories: Skilled and Non-Medical.

Find a Veterans Assisted Living Near You

Skilled Home Health Care

Skilled home health care is commonly referred to as medical home care. This type of agency provides specialized medical care that is provided by nurses that are certified or licensed. These nurses perform care services such as changing wound dressings, cleaning catheters, tube feeding as well as physical, speech or respiratory therapy.

Non-Medical Home Health Care

home health careNon-Medical home care is known by a large variety of names. These include Personal, Companionship and Homemaker Services.  The aides typically are trained but not licensed.  

For this reason the caregivers or aides provide non-skilled home health care services, commonly called "non-medical". The VA does not consider "non-medical" care, but they do consider non-skilled home health care services as a qualifying expense for the VA disability pension.  

The vast majority of "non-medical" home care agencies do qualify as an acceptable qualified expense.

Benefit Payment

The VA Disability Pension Benefit is paid directly to the Veteran or Surviving Widowed Spouse.  

The VA benefit is never paid directly to the home care agency.

The claimant pays the home care agency for services.  The VA pays the benefit to the claimant because of the payment the claimant made which is a qualified expense to qualify for the financial assistance benefit.  

Click Here To Find A Home Care Agency
In Your Area That Understands The VA Disability Pension Benefit

Return To Home Page

If you are a home care agency, click here to get listed in this directory.

This site is not part of nor affiliated with the Veterans Administration